Followers

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Dinner (this is a poem of Joel's I'm posting for him)

So you sat next to Peter Orszag at an East Village restaurant?
What do you know about the CBO,
or the vermicelli he lifted with dexterous financial fingers
via a stainless steel fork?
The only thing you know for sure
is that Orszag is not a chopstick man,
and this knowledge is a tugboat
pushing the great barge of commerce
down the widening mouth of foreign policy.
I once ate there with friends and was silent
watching the senator perch atop his chair
like Franklin's bald eagle.
After coffee and dessert,
there was the car ride through this city of forests.
There is usually a car ride.

Taken from chair to chair I saw in the window
the diaphanous shadow of your phone's shallow face.
It fixed with tenacious reason on the shatter resistant passenger side
as if it were a giant night insect attracted to the darkness.
I saw the rows of text, the sublime back-lit miracle of liquid crystal
digalized before my eyes, and could see nothing else.
Not the trees, or the sky, or the ghosts of the great burning.
I only saw it:

The ephermeral rectangle; the small glass doorway;
The place where we make sense of what we do not know.

6 comments:

  1. Joel and I worked in this together but only a few lines are mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I giggled at this:

    The only thing you know for sure
    is that Orszag is not a chopstick man,
    and this knowledge is a tugboat
    pushing the great barge of commerce
    down the widening mouth of foreign policy.

    And this car ride - 'there usually is a car ride' - and how the speaker 'could see nothing else' . . . 'Not the trees, or the sky, or the ghosts of the great burning' is sublime. Love the rhythm and final phrase. Well done, Billy-Joel.

    And Joel, what do YOU know about chopsticks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chopstick line is mine--haha. The other stuff you like is all Joel. I mostly rearranged stuff with my poetry bully chopsticks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O, I see, you orientalized a white man's poem. I see.

      Delete
  4. Hey, I was at that dinner with Orszag!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes you were. I think you were the only one who knew who he was. Now where is your latest poem? If you post tomorrow, Travis can have the last word on Monday and then maybe we can still do this as needed or once a week?

    ReplyDelete